Vote Now! 2020-2021 HMS PTO Board.
Please vote by May 10th | One vote per email.
President – Stephanie McCloskey
I have been around the volunteer block a few times… and I’m back again! I served as the PTO president for 2 years at Chestnutwold, Girl Scout cookie mom for 2 troops for 6 years, and currently sit on the board at Karakung Swim Club. Volunteering has always been an important part of my life.
I have 3 kids; Brooke will be a junior at the high school and Lucy and Liam will be in the 7th grade next year. Building relationships with parents and teachers, being a voice in the school community, and just putting in the work to support the school and students are top priorities for me!
VicePresident/Membership – Chamaine O’Hanlon.
I am a parent of a current 6th grader and am new to the PTO this year. I value public education so serving on the PTO Board is a way I feel I can give back to our community and school. I want HMS to be a great place for family and students. Communication is a great part of making everyone feel like they belong to something great so being the membership coordinator will allow me to make that a priority. Being a physical education teacher, I understand the importance of having families involved in the school community and I look forward to helping more families play an active role at HMS.
Treasurer – Bernadette Lawson
My name is Bernadette Lawson and I am submitting my name for the treasurer position on HMS’ PTO board. Currently, I serve on the HMS PTO as the Corresponding Secretary so I have some experience with the events we help fund and planning the budget. I have a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Temple University and an MBA from Villanova University. Currently I am employed as a client operations manager at MC2 Financial Advisers.
I feel the combination of my education and 17 years of experience in the financial services industry will enable me to perform the treasurer position. I have three children in Haverford School District – two in the high school and a current 6th grader at HMS. I feel fortunate to have my children enrolled in this district and wish to contribute to the critical partnership between HMS families and the school.
Recording Secretary – Gillian McDermott
I am the mother of two children in the Haverford School District; one in first grade and one in seventh grade. Over the course of this past year, I have assisted at the Haverford Middle School’s book fair and taught a session of art in the classroom at Lynnewood Elementary. So, serving on the PTO Board is a way to become more involved and foster the local school community. As a longtime medical editor and writer, I would bring strong communication and organizational skills to the role of recording secretary.
Corresponding Secretary – Peggy Hermann
I am currently serving as the recording secretary of the PTO and am a parent to a sixth grader at HMS and a ninth grader at HHS. I enjoy volunteering at the schools and in the community so serving on the PTO Board is a way to stay active in our school district and help to make HMS an even better place. My day job is working as an actuary for a small consulting firm in Philadelphia. I would look forward to being on the board again this next school year.
Thank you to all these candidates for stepping up and giving their time to help to continue to make HMS a wonderfully vibrant and inclusive community.
Please take time this week to send a THANK YOU note to your teachers.
- Send a direct email to your teacher!
- HANDWRITE a NOTE…we would love that. Write it, email me, and I will tell you where to drop!
Other Teacher Appreciation Updates from the PTO:
- The PTO has funded 2 “Virtual YOGA” sessions this week for our staff from Abbie Chowansky….we hope they can RELAX and practice SELF CARE too! Hummingbird Yoga also through in a yoga option as well!
- As Dan mentioned in his newsletter, the PTO contributed $500 to help support feeding nurses at Bryn Mawr Hospital in honor of our HMS Teachers…..they will receive BODEGA food on Tuesday!
- We will be giving away 6, $50 gift cards this week to teachers…..random drawings! Stay tuned to see the Winners!
8th Grade Update
We are pondering ideas and reaching out to teachers this week to see what the PTO can do to recognize 8th graders….stay tuned.
Things we know for sure:
- WE WILL HAVE A large CONGRATS banner made for front of HMS as a photo op area!
- NO LAWN SIGNS will be purchased by the PTO
- Dan and school will have 8th Grade Award Ceremony
- A few other ideas we are floating……whatever we can do that will celebrate ALL students!
Sign up for Giant A+ Rewards
Sign up to support our school with Giant A+ Rewards!
- Log into your account
- Click on MANAGE YOUR ACCOUNT
- Click on REWARDS and SAVINGS
- Enter HMS School ID: 23858
- You’re ALL SET and ready to support HMS!
Get the BOX TOPS APP and start making money for HMS by scanning your receipts…..Check out the website for specific details!
We are still collecting the paper ones if they have not expired! Turn them into the main office!